Oro Settlement

Shortly after the War of 1812, the British government designated land in Upper Canada specifically for the settlement of Black soldiers who had served Britain. The chosen site was in Oro Township, located between Lake Simcoe and Georgian Bay. The location was strategic as it would provide a level of defence for Fort York, should the Americans invade by water, via Lake Huron and Georgian Bay.

Oro Map

Map of Oro Settlement. Image courtesy of the Simcoe County Archives.

In 1819, lots were surveyed along what would be called Wilberforce Street (in honour of the British abolitionist, William Wilberforce). Black veterans of the war were given 100-acre lots, while their white compatriots were given the standard 200 acres normally granted to war veterans. The Black veterans were restricted to settlement along Wilberforce Street, while white veterans settled along the Penetanguishene Road, the main thoroughfare between Fort York and Georgian Bay, and could choose land elsewhere in the area.

Several members of the Coloured Corps petitioned for land in Oro. Among them were Corporal Humphrey Waters, and Privates John Call, Daniel Cokely, John Delay, Samuel Edmunds and John Jackson. Some of these veterans did not actually settle on their land because they found the settlement duties too challenging. Other Blacks, not necessarily veterans, also petitioned for land, so the Oro Settlement grew.

AME Church Oro

Oro African Methodist Episcopal Church, 2011. Image courtesy of Carolyn H. Smith, www.1812history.ca

In 1849, the community decided that there was a need for a permanent house of worship. Noah Morris sold a corner of his property to trustees of the Coloured Episcopal Methodist Church and a church was then built. Six years later, John Nelson Morris, the eldest son of Noah Morris, donated land so that a school could be built.

In more recent years, the church was restored and in the year 2000 it was designated as a National Historic Site, in recognition of Oro Township’s pioneering Black settlers.

Read the Report

Watch the Augmented Reality vignette

Download the Lesson Plan

Check out the related documents

Related Stories:

Back to Post-War Aftermath

 

L’établissement d’Oro

Peu après la fin de la guerre de 1812, le gouvernement britannique a désigné des terres au Haut-Canada spécifiquement pour l’établissement des combattants de race noire ayant servi la Grande-Bretagne. Le site choisi était le canton d’Oro situé entre le lac Simcoe et la baie Georgienne. Cet emplacement était stratégique, puisqu’il offrait un certain niveau de défense du fort York dans l’éventualité où les Américains envahissent le territoire par voie maritime à partir du lac Huron et de la baie Georgienne.

Oro Plaque in Simcoe

Image courtesy of www.ontarioplaques.com

En 1819, des lots ont été arpentés le long de ce qui deviendra la rue Wilberforce (en l’honneur de l’abolitionniste britannique William Wilberforce). On a accordé aux vétérans de race noire des lots de 100 acres, alors que leurs compatriotes de race blanche ont obtenu des lots standards de 200 acres normalement cédés aux vétérans. Les vétérans de race noire n’avaient le droit de s’établir que le long de la rue Wilberforce, alors que les vétérans de race blanche se sont établis le long de la route Penetanguishene, la principale route entre le fort York et la baie Georgienne, et n’ont fait l’objet d’aucune restriction.

Plusieurs membres du Coloured Corps ont présenté une requête pour obtenir des terres à Oro. Parmi eux il y avait le sergent William Thompson, le corporels Humphrey Waters, ainsi que les soldats John Call, Daniel Cokely, John Delay et John Jackson. Certains de ces vétérans ne se sont pas établis sur leur terre parce qu’ils ont trouvé les obligations entourant l’établissement  dans cette région trop dures.  D’autres noirs, pas nécessairement d’anciens combattants, ont également présenté des requêtes pour obtenir des terres. C’est ainsi que l’établissement d’Oro a pris de l’ampleur.

FarmersEn 1849, la communauté a reconnu le besoin de construire un lieu de culte permanent. Noah Morris a vendu un coin de sa propriété aux fiduciaires de la Coloured Episcopal Methodist Church et une église a été construite sur ce lot. Six ans plus tard, John Nelson Morris, le fils aîné de Noah Morris, a fait don d’un terrain pour construire une école.

Plus récemment, l’église a été rénovée et en l’an 2000, elle a été désignée site historique national en reconnaissance des pionniers noirs du canton d’Oro.

Lire le rapport

Regardez de vignette améliorée sur la réalité

Télécharger le plans de cours

Vérifier les documents connexes

Autres histoires connexes:

Retour aux répercussions de la guerre

 

Share